Sunday, July 11, 2010

People are so friendly here. Half the time those hellos that you hear on the street could be considered harassment, but the other of the time they are genuine ‘hellos’. People call you sister, which I think is nice. Cause I am this foreign white girl, but they still would like to think that I am a sister. I was getting out of the train station as it was turning dark and steps were starting to quicken as people tried to get home before night fell. I was walking down an empty corridor following this one woman. You could tell she was uncomfortable with someone following her but she looked around and saw it was just a young girl. She then turned to me and started to make conversation, ‘well it’s not too cold tonight!’ she was genuinely lovely.

I was crossing a very busy street and there were multiple buses in front of me so it was difficult to see when to run across. Then this very flamboyant man took my arm and said ‘I’ll get you across safely sweetie’. At first I was a bit apprehensive with this man touching me but he was harmless and in the end very funny. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment