Saturday, July 17, 2010

workers

You can find a person here to do anything/everything for you. With such high unemployment the informal sector is massive. It is always a little bit shocking because you know that you can pump your own petrol and get your own toilet roll. But if a couple of cents help someone, then I guess you learn to become very privileged and wait for someone to nicely fold your loo roll. The owners of our house started arranging for a domestic worker to come and clean. I thought it would be like halls in university where they tidy the general area and thus was quite shocked to see a lovely woman washing my dishes early this morning. I tried to tell her that it was my mess and I would happily clean it and apologised for the general state of the house. I think I may have offended her. I then continued to feel awkward while trying to make some breakfast for my hungover, pyjama clad self. I then tried to offer her some juice, which she politely declined in xhoso so then I had no idea what to say to her. While I understand that giving someone a job is vital, it also felt that I was back in the apartheid era. Hence my attempt to force orange juice down her throat to try and fix a century of social wrongs. If only it was that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment