Saturday, July 10, 2010

Reclaiming the night......sort of.

I went on the Reclaim the Night March in London last October and it was incredible. Thousands of women marching to reclaim the night back for themselves. The march was started back in the 1980s after the Yorkshire Ripper had raped and murdered multiple women in England. Women were told not to go out alone, especially at night. However, women banded together and fought against this oppression. They claimed the night for themselves, as it was their night as well. While I certainly advocate safety and don’t be an idiot, there is also something to be said for reclaiming the night, especially in South Africa. People are so paralyzed by their own fear. But by feeding into the fear, they are just contributing to the cycle of violence and allowing people to get away with it. Saying that white people shouldn’t ride the train or women shouldn’t go anywhere alone not only allows for criminals to continue their activity legitimately but it also paralyzes half of society.

The first week I was here, I was terrified. I came here filled with stories of rape, murder and kidnappings. However, I am learning that you can’t be controlled by fear. Otherwise you do nothing and live a very sheltered and boring life. The sun sets at half past five and then you are locked up inside your house behind your electric gate fearing every little noise in the dark.

So I am reclaiming the night, well starting off with the day.

I was told by friends never to take the train alone because that I looked foreign, I was white (white as they come) and a young woman. However, some friends wanted to go to Simon’s town on Monday and the easiest way was by rail. The other easy thing to do was for me to get on the train in my area and then they would catch the same train five stops later. All of my friends said no, don’t do it, just take a taxi. However, I have never been one to listen and jumped on the train clutching my belongings to my chest and breathed deep. It was fine. It was better than fine. It was the best transport I have had in South Africa. The train was as clean as most inner city trains, was on time, fast and took only one hour (quicker than driving) and cost less than a pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment